7th
OCT

WordPress ODLinks Plugin Guide & Instructions

Posted by M. 4Gani under Root, Tools, WordPressi:

Open Directory Links (Website Directory Project) is a WordPress plugin.
ODLinks 1.4.3-a is now available.

last changes (May 2018)

last changes (15.03.2013 about: 15:00 GMT)
To display the latest xx ads in the sidebar,
you copy the following code and place it anywhere else in the sidebar.
<?php lastODLinksSidebar(8) ?>

last changes  (Today 07.03.2013 about: 15:00 GMT)
– implemented the page navigation functionality
– updated to uses the thumbshots.ru for the Website screenshots
The update fixes website’s search function. [not important!]
Save your local changes (you have any) and unzip the file and overwrite existing directories and files.

The plugin can help you to start a profitable website directory which is the same as the DMOZ.org directory.This plugin is under active development. If you experience problems, please first make sure you have installed the latest version. Feature requests, bug reports and comments can be submitted [here]
1) Click here to download the odlinks plugin last release

Installing the plugin:

1. Unzip the downloaded file and upload the odlinks folder to your WordPress plugins folder (/wp-content/plugins/)
2. Log into your WordPress admin panel
3. So go ahead and activate the ODLINKS plugin, which should appear in the list of installed plug-ins.
4. “ODLinks” will now be displayed in your admin panel.
5. For first step instructions, go to Options “Settings”

You will need to make the Smarty cache and template_c folders writable (chmod 777):
Use your FTP client to change its permissions to 777.
* odlinks/includes/Smarty/cache
* odlinks/includes/Smarty/templates_c

Once you have changed the folder permissions, return to your browser, and refresh it.
Now you can submit your settings. After submission, installer process will create the tables automatically.

For your information, after submitting the settings a new page will be created with the title [[odlinks]](in upper letters) .
This title will be also added to the content of pages automatically.
Do NOT remove the page. The plugin work correctly with this page ID.
Please, you should keep the default title[[odlinks]] (in upper letters) of page to make it to work…

To uninstall and deactivate the plugin, please go to Options “uninstall” under ODLinks menu.

6. Creating/Editing a category and subcategory
– Before deploying, you should create and set-up the categories and subcategories for your Website.
– Go aheead and choose “Categories” from the ODLinks drop down menu and insert the category name and category description and then submit it.
– You can insert the subcategories by clicking on ‘Add Category’ and choosing any category name from the list in parent category. If you select root as parent category, then you create a main category.
– Create a subcategory is mandatory and required!

Depending on the “Permalink Settings” it’s possible for some pages that the categories urls are not accessible.
To fix this problem you should go to update the .htaccess file which is exised under wordpress top directory.

Normaly if you click on categories you will get something like this:
<yourDomain>/odlinks/?_action=main&id=2&parent=1

If insteaed of the “/odlinks/” somthing elses is placed for example “/97-revision-v1/”
you can upadte your the .htaccess file as follows:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteRule ^97-revision-v1/?([^/]*)?/?(.*)$ /index.php?pagename=odlinks=$1=$2 [QSA,L,R,NS]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

== Frequently Asked Questions ==

How can we display the latest xx ads in the sidebar?

You copy the following code and place it anywhere in the sidebar.php located in active theme folder.
<?php lastODLinksSidebar(8) ?>

This guide will show you the step by step process for first installation/configuring

Demo:

Test ODLinks (Open Directory Links)   OR  odlinks.com

Questions and Examples of Use

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why the main site gives me the 404 or Not Found error message or I cannot see the “Submitt a link”?

This usually occurs only when using a custom permalink structure (like /%category%/%postname%/).
This is a .htaccess 404 error message and you should update your .htaccess file in the WP root directory.

Normally you should not edit the htaccess, the Permalink link will be detect by plugin automatically.

Please install the CURL module for PHP.

Todo

185 Responses to “WordPress ODLinks Plugin Guide & Instructions”

Pages: « 19 18 17 [16] 15 14 13 12 11 10 91 » Show All

1. Jürgen, 14. June 2013, 11:54

Hello, thumbnails are not displayed in Firfox, Safari and Chrome. Can you help?

2. Joseph, 1. June 2013, 15:41

Hello,
    I installed the 1.4.2b version and I would like to limit the number of ads per page, but it does not work.
    what can I do?

3. Amee, 29. May 2013, 12:44

Haben Sie einen rss feed, den ich abonnieren kann?

Wunderbare Erläuterung, Sie haben einen neuwertigen Leser dazugewonnen.

4. Elly, 29. May 2013, 8:09

I have added the plugin on my website and the link http://www.traveltoeastafrica.com/odlinks/ created but i cant access it. what could be the problem?
    Thanks in advance

5. arnouf, 16. May 2013, 17:32

Hello,
    Thanks for your great plugin. I use it for some days. My users use the french character “à”. This caracter is displayed like “?” on display. I tried to change “à” by the html value “&agrave” but the character is always the same repsresentation.
    Can you fix it ? Let me know. The URL using your plugin is http://www.passion-maquette-rallye.com/odlinks

6. Paul Kassens, 19. March 2013, 9:14

I downloaded the latest version… now it says 1.4.0-c.
    I wish you label the version number in the file name – so I know which version I am getting.
    Also – (and I have this problem for years with this plugin, on all upgrades) – you should really stick to standard numbering system – and not use the letter at the end. When you add “-c” to replace “-b” WordPress thinks that you already have the latest version. By using alphabetic version number, it thinks “b” is newer then “c”. If you simply used “1.4.1”, then the WordPress system will alert & allow you to upgrade within WordPress.
    Now for the BIG problem. After I unzipped & uploaded 1.4.0-c, and checked my permissions… When I click on anything in the admin page I get:
    “You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.”
    What is causing that??? I am getting that on 2 different web sites.
    Please Help!!!  :(

7. Paul Kassens, 19. March 2013, 8:50

I have had a few problems after the upgrade to ODLinks 1.4.0-b. and few couple suggestions…
    (some of these I have seen others post also)
    1 – the Thumbshots are not displaying  (they worked before – now broke!)
    2 – I tried several times to register with thumbshots, and never receive confirmation email.
    3 – I was not getting new links listed to approve – but this seems to be working now.
    suggestions:
    4 – My smoothslider carousel is messed up on Links page. Captions cover pic, and fwd & back buttons are on sides of page. (smoothslider works fine on other pages – so must be a conflict with ODLinks)
    5 – I would really love to have an admin interface for import/export – and/or at least admin ability to add new links manually from back end, and not through public side. I really hope you will add this feature soon!Even if the import/export links via csv file was an upgrade feature – it would be nice!
    6 – Main ODLinks page template really needs a facelift. It should not simply state to submit links for SEO reasons & link exchanges… many sites actually use link directories as a resource for readers! I will probably try to make my own template soon, but the default one is pretty ugly (sorry).
    7 – Submit site link seems awkward to find, and has extra step. It should just be one link to submit new link – no reason to pick category first, when you get to choose it again anyway.
    I have searched extensively and tried many other directory plugins… ODLinks is the only one I have found that does exactly what I need… but it just needs a few bugs fixed!
    Thank you!

8. Sebastien, 2. March 2013, 12:08

I have a problem display recement Thumbshots

***************
    I have already uploaded a new release 1.4.0-b
    Please download (Today 05.03.2013 about: 15:00 GMT)
    (contains some last minute fixes for admin interface)
    save your local changes and unzip the file and overwrite existing directories and files.
    Thanks.
    ***************

9. Deinier, 14. December 2012, 18:14

Hi, I am having problems with this plugin and WordPress 3.5, it is showing duplicate content in the head. Thanks for this plugin.

10. juan antonio gallego, 3. December 2012, 21:56

Hi!
    Is there a way to page through the results to display from 10 to 10 for example?

****